Thursday, December 9, 2010

It's Arrived!

Our very first egg was nestled in a perfectly formed straw nest this evening when we got home!

The falling snow and the drift outside our back door weren't enough to deter me from practically sprinting to the coop to check for the egg that had to appear any day now. I approached the ladies from the front door and greeted them as always before shutting the door for the evening. They were talkative and curious as usual. I then went around back to check the egg door and talk some more. I've been asking the girls daily who planned to lay the first egg for me...

My eyes must have been as wide as the eyes of a 4 year-old on Christmas morning when I saw what one of the ladies had left for me. I swear there was a halo of light surrounding this egg. Scooping it up, I thanked the girls, closed the door and ran for the house. Thankfully, the clutz in me managed to avoid falling face first in the snow, crushing the egg...whew! I flung the door open and yelled...WHOOO HOOO, we got our 1st egg! While everyone was excited, I'm certain no one was as exhilarated as I...

I couldn't figure out exactly who laid it because the egg had been left to fend for itself. Judging by the color, I'm pretty positive it belongs to one of our Barred Plymouths or maybe an Australorp. This egg is small as is to be expected from all first eggs, but I'll take it! It's really amazing how clean eggs come out. All I had to do was run it under some water and voila...perfection!

Needless to say, it's been an exciting evening on Wiedenhoeft Mountain. I have banned anyone from cracking this egg, at least for now. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment